As a provider of independent agronomy advice CCC aims to optimise pesticide use on farms, not only to improve the financial performance of its members businesses but also to minimise the environmental impact of arable farming.
1. CCC makes itself aware of current environmental issues facing agriculture, and is actively engaged in the promotion of several environmental initiatives to its members including:
- The Downs and Coastal Harbours Project (water quality improvement)
- Campaign for the Farmed Environment (habitat and environmental)
- Pesticide Stewardship (Metaldehyde Stewardship guidelines for example)
- Agri-environmental schemes including ELS and HLS
- Knowledge transfer of NVZ issues through farmer meetings and workshops
2. CCC’s advice is based on technically sound, evidence-based decision and continual employee training and technical briefings. The company’s purpose if to remove the commercial-bias from agronomic advice, and we strive to make decisions based on:
- Soil sampling and nutrient planning
- Precision nitrogen application
- The use of sampling and thresholds for diseases, pests and weeds
3. In addition to agronomic advice, CCC also strives to reduce the environmental impact of it’s activities by:
- Reducing employee travel mileage by car sharing to technical briefings and meetings.
- Recycling of office waste – notably waste paper and ink cartridges – to reduce landfill.
- The use of energy-efficient office lighting and IT equipment.
We also encourage our partners to reduce the environmental impact of their businesses. For example, Crop Advisors are grouping multiple product orders with local distributors where possible in order to reduce transport mileage.